Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Building Blocks for Effective Book Marketing

Before my first book of poetry, Contemplating Eve, was published, I had fundamental questions about the best ways to promote the book and, ultimately, to sell it to customers. What was the market for poetry? Who would buy the book? How would it be distributed?  I feared that, without a traditional publisher, it would all be up to me.

After doing some reading in varied publishing journals (e.g. Publisher’s Weekly), I became discouraged. The demand for books was flat. Even the best poets could expect to sell only a few thousand books, that is, with a major publishing house behind him/her.

I was a novice, so I looked to my Publishing Consultant for advice. She had 12 years of experience with digital publishing at Gladstone Publishing.  The first piece of advice that she gave me was to be sure that everyone I knew was aware that I had published a book. The second thing I learned from her was that I should construct a website to establish a ready information source & a place to purchase my book for those in my social circle; moreover, I should build a blog to create a buzz around all of this work. Finally, she reminded me that, I should stick to my immediate social circle at the start. 

I listened carefully to her advice. I created a Facebook Fan Page for Contemplating Eve, which includes compelling content for fans, such as, favorite poetry from the book and from established poets, updates as the book developed and background information about the publishing process. I am also building this blog, which chronicles my experiences with digital publishing through lessons learned with the first book and through current adventures with the second. I am constructing a website (a work-in-progress) that will enable customers to purchase the book directly from me (which will mean lower prices for them). Further to developing a strong presence online, I completed my own Author’s Page on Amazon and my book is available for sale on at least a dozen different websites, including Amazon, Gladstone Publishing and Ebay.  

I had a Book Launch to celebrate the release of Contemplating Eve in October 2010. It was held at Rainy Faye Bookstore. To publicize the event, press releases were sent to local newspapers. Full articles concerning the event appeared in the Hartford Courant and the Fairfield County Weekly (print editions). Flyers for the event covered community buildings in two towns. I utilized Facebook and LinkedIn to get the word out.

I have expended a tremendous amount of time and energy on the project of marketing Contemplating Eve. So was it worth it? The answer: Yes, but these investments have and will foster the long-term development of my brand as an author. I do not anticipate a large immediate return, although it is feasible that these marketing efforts account for 25% of sales. That said, I have had greater success using other methods.

The secret to my success (which is no secret really) has been communication through word of mouth.  For me, word of mouth means that when a friend or a family member reads Contemplating Eve and enjoys it, he or she passes the book on or tells a friend, he or she tells a friend and the chain continues from there. It is these recommendations that lead to sales. This is a great form of marketing that has a life all its own. I have found it to be most effective. It accounts for 60% of all sales. (THANK YOU friends and family!) Word of mouth marketing is a great place to start before reaching out to the larger public. 

Word of mouth marketing may involve technologies like email and social media, but these tap into existing social networks (relationships) to be effective. Simply using social media does not sell books; these media are just tools to get the word out there. Find the media that works best for you, that taps into your target market. The reality is for many self-publishers that one may not know who his/her target market is until one's book gets out there and sales take on a life all their own. For instance, I could not have predicted that 75% of all sales would be to women ages 40 to 85. I certainly have sold books to men and to younger women, but without a meaningful, market study, I would have predicted a younger demographic, in addition, to an older one. (Selecting a price point is a topic for a future blog. But, at $25 per book, I priced myself out of the market for younger buyers. I plan to make it up to them by pricing my next book at $10! Find out how and if I am able to manage that in an upcoming blog on pricing.)

To conclude, every self-publisher has a different approach, but keep in mind three key pieces of advice that have been central to my book sales: 1) Make sure everyone you know is aware of your book; wide outreach on land and online is important. 2) Use a website, a blog and social media to get the word out about your work. Be sure to establish yourself as a compelling information source for online readers. 3) Finally, know that the people who know you best will likely be your best customers. And that’s where everything starts.