Friday, April 29, 2011

Conversations with the Editor / Xavier Martin / Editor of A Dawn Run Hot with Morning

On Wednesday, I conducted an interview with Xavier Martin, the editor of A Dawn Run Hot with Morning. He sat down with me and I asked him a few questions about the book and about his background:


JW: What was your first impression of the manuscript?

XM: I was amazed at how much you've grown as a writer since your first book. You have better developed your style. Your style has become recognizable and distinctive. Your poems have even more personality. And you accomplish an admirable feat. In A Dawn Run Hot with Morning, you create a compelling narrative with just 50 poems. What a great piece of work.


JW: What did you think of the narrative?

XM: A Dawn Run Hot with Morning is something of a "montana rosa," as it navigates through different emotional states. There are ups and downs we experience in reading A Dawn Run Hot with Morning, but the book's message is one of an unrelenting sense of hope. It's provocative. The poems "Survivor" and "The Healing Wing" are great examples. They are about transcendence and they reveal the undeniable power of human will. I think that this message is at the core of your book.


JW: What makes a good poem?

XM: As a reader, I prefer free verse. It's an open form and has the least amount of structure. It leaves more to the imagination. I like a poem whose style allows for multiple interpretations, one where the reader can bring his or her own "story" to the poem. The rhythm or musicality of a poem really adds something. Finally, I need to have a strong sense of the poet's voice. It allows me to connect with the poet - really feel something.



JW: What is your favorite poem from A Dawn Run Hot with Morning?

XM: "The Hug" and "Survivor" are two of my favorites. Two contrasting themes, two different styles. "The Hug" is simple yet meaningful. Using vivid imagery, it tells the story of a little girl at the beach who is enchanted by her surroundings. It captures the magic of summer and the daring and innocence of youth. You perfect the art of making small things special with "The Hug".


In "Survivor", the narrator lives despite a metaphorical fall through a mysterious trap door. We know there is triumph in the end because the "battle['s] fought and won". The scars from the event are merely the evidence of the life-changing fall, but they do not define her. Repetition and vivid imagery define this work.


JW: What defines my literary style?

XM: What defines your literary style is the use of alliteration; your poetry has a beautiful cadence; the ample use of imagery; your writing is evocative rather than simply being descriptive. Each of these elements make your writing easy and pleasant to read.



JW: We worked on a number of key poems together. Which ones were the most memorable?

XM: "The Healing Wing" is most memorable. As I recall, we had a long conversation. We compared Pollock's and Kandinsky's work to your own. We discussed the ambiguity of images in your text. You create a contradiction with the bird at the center of "The Healing Wing". Ambiguity is another a key feature of your style and it is one that I think you should continue to develop.

"Unbearable Brightness" and "Past Grieving" are remarkably autobiographical. They are precise depictions of the trials you've been through.

"Overnight" has great rhythm and musicality. It tells a love story in few words. It was fun to play around with the order of the words and phrases to make new meaning.

"Contradictions of Home" is sort of a lost work that didn't make the final cut. It underwent multiple revisions, but it was cut out because it could not stand on its own. Clearly, this poem needs a period of incubation - it's a work in progress not yet ready for publication.




JW: Did you have a vision in mind when you made comments on the poems?

XM: I worked hard toward executing your full artistic vision.



JW: You know me fairly well. How did this affect our work together?

XM: We were open, patient and forthcoming with our comments. I was familiar with the ideas and subject matter of the text. As a result, I was fully aware of what you were trying to communicate. I made every effort as editor to deliver your message.


JW: Who is your favorite poet? Why?

XM: Mario Benedetti. He writes poetry about the small things in life. I like his use of irony. Also, his voice is pleasant, humble and honest. You should look at some of his haiku.


JW: Finally, why did you take on this project?

XM: I liked reading the first book, Contemplating Eve, so much that I thought it was important to get involved on A Dawn Run Hot with Morning. I have such a passion for literature; I read so much that I thought this project would make the perfect challenge. I know a good poem when I see it and I knew that after reading the manuscript the first time that I wanted a hand at helping you to articulate your vision. Your poetry is so good and the feedback so far has been glowing. I wish you nothing but the best.


[Looking to read more on A Dawn Run Hot with Morning? There is so much more to discover. Please see the blog archive for 10 additional blog posts which feature some of the poetry & more background on creating the book.]